Friday 17 April 2015

Jennuinely Interested in...BANANA BREAD


I love to bake, it’s a passion, nothing too complicated, tasty cakes usually, I tend not to bake so much as there aren’t many people to eat it around the house, need to be more brave and bring some into college, I’ll usually bake for family functions around Christmas!

So in the kitchen we have a beautiful fruit bowl… untouched by humans, and inside that big bowl are four very sad bananas, and last night I said... 

"enough is enough!! those bananas will live!”


And so, I decided to bake banana bread! I chose Donal Skehan’s “Aunties Ann’s Banana Bread”  recipe and let me tell you it is MAGNIFIQUE!!!! 
-I did add a sneaky extra ingredient of chocolate chips (why not?)


So here is his recipe, I made one large loaf, but I am tempted at another point to make a banana muffins with this recipe!
110g butter
190g caster sugar
2 large eggs
240g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 large bananas (I used 3 1/3)
AND ONE BIG BAG OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS!  MMMMMMM

Utensils
Weighing Scales/Measuring Spoons
Oven @ 180C
Mixing bowl
Sifter
Electric Mixer/ a wooden spoon and strength
Spatula
Loaf tin/ mini loaf or muffin tins
A smile J

The Method is so easy, which is always A+ in my book!

Cream the butter and sugar, add one egg and sift some flour, beat then add the second egg and the remainder of the flour, combine. 
Then the best bit, squish the bananas until they are like wallpaper paste and add them with the vanilla extract and the choc-chips and gently fold them all together until the smell of the batter is so irresistible you have to have a taste then pour it into a greased tin (really grease it up!!).


                   





I added my cute decoration and placed it in the oven on the bottom shelf at 180C for 65 minutes -  in the recipe it did say 50 minutes, but I put mine on the bottom shelf, and also I think adding the fresh banana on top hinders its baking, but worth it for the cuteness, I also covered the cake after 40 minutes with tin foil to prevent any more browning.

The smell of banana bread baking through the house was just irresistible BUT the loaf really does need to cool as it’s so moist I don’t think it would hold together if cut while hot! leave the cake to cool for 6/7 minutes then get it out of the tin onto a wire rack to cool!

This morning I sliced a chunk for myself and WOW-WEE-WOWSA!! :D



It’s so moist and the banana and chocolate chips are a match made in heaven, it holds together perfectly but is squidgy and moreish, and I’d say if I drank tea it would go perfectly. 
 All round a delight and I would definitely give it two thumbs up!


Please enjoy this pictures while I enjoy another slice J  

If you enjoyed this post please follow me, or give it a little +1 = thanks a billion :) 
AND come follow me on Instagram, click on the icon on the right there, or look up jennuinelyinterested ! 

Here is Donal's link to his site because its his recipe after all!! 


1 comment: